Thursday, March 29, 2012

Ratio male:female

The interesting thing about my little pond is the gender of my fishies.
When I was buying them, me and the seller tried to find 4 females and 2 males. This would be appropriate according to male:female ration from here.
However, the problem was that those Vietnamese White Clouds were still so young, so it was very difficult to define the gender.

Males should have more intensive colours and females should have rounder bellies.
So when I bought them, I thought I got 5 females and 2 males.

But now, from day to day, I am more convinced that I actually have 6 males and 1 female.
This one female is lighter colours than other fishes and also bigger.

However, I still don't know in which week they actually get sexually mature. So for now, I am waiting for female to come into breeding season. If that ever happens I will be sure about male female ratio in my aquarium.